Search

Friday, April 22, 2011

Exploring Beyond the MBA Classroom

As a first year at MIT Sloan, I’m constantly learning about the “business world” and preparing for my future career through classes, clubs, labs, and my classmates. However, I am also finding that an MBA is an excellent time to try new things outside of the traditional business setting.

During MIT Sloan’s SIP (Sloan Innovation Period) week, I took a workshop at the School of the Museum of Fine Arts. The experience was incredible because it allowed participants to discover their creative side through animation, drawing, and installation art. In addition, we had lively discussions with students at the Museum School about the intersection between art and business, particularly comparing the similarities between entrepreneurs and artists.

The workshop definitely rekindled my love for the arts and motivated me to take time out of my week for creative endeavors. During an MBA program, I think it’s important to periodically take a step back and reevaluate what you want to get out of the two year experience. For me, that also means taking advantage of the student schedule and university offerings to try new things like painting, sailing, and training for a half marathon. Of course this only adds to the challenge of “drinking from the fire hose”, which further shows the importance of prioritizing your individual MBA experience. I’m having an amazing time at MIT Sloan discovering my strengths, weaknesses, and passions – I encourage you to think of an MBA program as an opportunity to explore all your interests. You won’t be disappointed!

Maggie Dreifuerst, Class of 2012
Forte Fellow & MBA Candidate, MIT Sloan

No comments:

Post a Comment