Search

Monday, August 26, 2013

Accepted.com Interview with Georgetown MBA & Forté Fellow Teri Delgado

Forté Fellow Teri Delgado recently shared her first year experiences at the Georgetown MBA with Accepted.com. Take a moment to read her interview.

Here’s an excerpt on her experiences with Forté:

Accepted: Can you talk about your experience with the Forté Foundation? What are some of the benefits of being involved with this organization?

Teri: As a Forté Fellow, I have access to many great benefits, including networking events, webinars, and the annual Forté Conference. Even before school started, I was welcomed by my second-year Forté mentor from Georgetown who helped me navigate the first weeks of school. Through my Forte participation, I contribute to the Forté Fellow blog and have been empowered to lead the first-year women’s mentoring program as the VP, Mentorship for the Georgetown Women in Business club. Forté sponsored events helped me evaluate pursuing an MBA early on and I am thrilled that I can share my experience and help other women strategically consider this decision as well.

For the complete blog post visit: Georgetown MBA Interview with Teri Delgado at Accepted.com

Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Take Advantage of Forté Forums

Joanne Legler, Associate Director of Admissions at the University of Chicago Booth School of Business recently shared some additional advice about getting the most out of Forté Forums on the Booth Insider Full-Time Admissions Blog.

Joanne Legler
University of Chicago
Booth School of Business
“Besides getting great advice and meeting with admissions staff, Forté Forums are also a great way to network with other pre-MBA women; these strangers are friends you haven’t yet met, and potential future classmates or business partners.  The Forum provides an excellent opportunity to network with other motivated and talented women who are looking for what you are; a degree that will push, challenge and inspire you all to reach your career and personal goals.  You’ll notice that you’ll start to run into one another and recognize these new contacts at individual school events, both during the application process and later when you’ve been admitted and start attending Admit Weekends—and beyond that, when you’re registering for your first classes!

Forté Forums are some of my favorite events of the entire year; I am always inspired by the soon-to-be MBA women I meet, who are themselves excited, maybe a little nervous, but above all more than ready to take this next big step to gain the knowledge and experience needed to make a change.  I particularly love meeting a woman at the Forums, and then reading her application and possibly admitting her to join our class at Chicago Booth.  Seeing this relationship through to the end, from attending Admit Weekend to then seeing her at Orientation—these are the moments an admissions director live for!  The opportunity to make an impact at the crucial stage of deciding to apply to school is a major motivator for me.

The most important advice I can give you for the Forté Forums is to GO; you will find that other priorities, including work and friends, will try to prevent you from making the trek to your nearest Forum.  Put this in proverbial pen in your appointment book—you’ll thank me later!   Once you arrive, don’t be shy!  Come over, introduce yourself, leave your business card and strike up a conversation with Booth alumnae and staff.  Do the same with the woman you sit next to at the Alumnae and Admissions panels and start your MBA network now.  I’ll see you myself at the two Forums in New York City so if you’re a Big Apple dweller, I hope you’ll stop by the Chicago Booth table to say hello.

To read the complete article visit Women, Booth, and the Forté Foundation.

Learn more about Upcoming Forté Forums.

Monday, August 19, 2013

Preparing for the Forté Forums - Part 2

The 2013 Forté Forums get underway tonight in Chicago. Last week, I shared tips from our webinar panelists on preparing for the forums. Don’t forget to spend a few minutes listening to our webinar, Preparing for the Forté Forums. The panel featured Joanne Legler, Associate Director of Admissions at The University of Chicago’s Booth School of Business and five women who are beginning their MBA programs in the next month. They shared their insights and tips on navigating an MBA recruiting event.

Here are some additional tips shared during the webinar:

1.       Talk with other attendees. Some of them may be your future classmates. If not, you’ll be expanding your network. -- Tricia Felice, MBA 2014, University of Chicago Booth School of Business, Forté Fellow

2.      Have a clear understanding of what you hope to gain from the forum or fair. -- Stephanie Cadieux, MBA 2014, The Kellogg School of Management at Northwestern

3.      After the fair, make a list of what you learned from each school and rank them according to your preferences. -- Joanne Legler, Associate Director of Admissions,  University of Chicago Booth School of Business

Arrion Rathsack, Manager of Sponsor Relations and Programs, Forté Foundation

** Please not this webinar was originally recorded in August 2012, references to the upcoming forum and webinar schedule is incorrect. Visit the following sites for the latest on these programs:

Forté Webinars 2013-2014

Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Preparing for the Forté Forums

The 2013 Forté Forums begin next week. Within a supportive and collaborative environment, the Forté Forums are great way to begin exploring the MBA program opportunities available to you at Top-Tier programs.

You might be thinking, “What exactly happens at a Forté Forum and how should I prepare?” Take a listen to a webinar panel moderated by Joanne Legler, Associate Director of Admissions at The University of Chicago’s Booth School of Business and five women who began their MBA program last fall. They shared their insights and tips on navigating an MBA recruiting event, whether it be a Forté Forum, The MBA Tour, QS Top MBA Tour, or Kaplan’s Road to Business School (and I should add there are many other regional and national fairs as well.)

Here are some tips shared during the webinar:

1.       Ask questions about information you aren't able to easily find on the website, i.e. school’s culture. -- Shaw-chin Chiu, MBA 2014, The Fuqua School of Business at Duke, Forté Fellow

2.      Dress appropriately. It keeps you confident, no such thing as being over dressed. -- Adeola Taiwo, MBA 2014, McCombs School of Business at Texas, Forté Fellow

3.      Don’t forget to smile and just be yourself. The schools want good candidates as much as you want a good school--so it is mutual. -- Sweeny Chhabra, MBA 2013, INSEAD, Forté Fellow

Later this week, I’ll share some additional insights from our other panelists on questions to ask, what to wear and bring to the forums, and some final tips.

In the meantime, take some time to listen to the complete webinar online:

Arrion Rathsack, Manager of Sponsor Relations and Programs, Forté Foundation

** Please not this webinar was originally recorded in August 2012, references to the upcoming forum and webinar schedule is incorrect. Visit the following sites for the latest on these programs:

Monday, August 12, 2013

Come the the Forté Forums!

by Shari Hubert, Associate Dean of MBA Admissions, Georgetown University McDonough School of Business

Shari Hubert
Georgetown University
McDonough School
of Business
As the Associate Dean of MBA Admissions at Georgetown University's McDonough School of Business, I am proud that we are a Forte Sponsor School and welcome the newest Class of 2015 Forte Fellows. They are strong women embarking on their MBA and pursuing careers in business, non profit, and government. They are fortunate to have an organization as committed to the advancement of women in business as the Forte Foundation. From undergraduates and pre-MBAs, to MBAs and women in diverse professional arenas, Forte has and continues to be a thought leader in the space and provides women the tools, professional development and strong networks to be successful in their careers.  

At Georgetown, we have increased our number of Forte Fellows to 20 this year to demonstrate our level of commitment to attracting and recruiting more women into MBA programs. We look forward to partnering with Forte during the Forte Forums taking place across the US and in London and Toronto.  I encourage you to register to attend one of these events as well.  The Forums provide an opportunity for women thinking about business school to speak one-on-one with representatives from all of the Forté member schools. There will also be a panel of admissions officers providing helpful tips on creating the best application possible, and a panel of business school alumnae to talk about the value of an MBA education and their business school and career experiences.

Forté’s website also contains lots of useful information about business school, careers in business, and shares the stories of women who have gone before you. It is a great networking, mentoring and educational tool.  For additional information on how Forte can help you achieve your goals, visit www.fortefoundation.org

Monday, July 29, 2013

The MBA School Visit Part Three: What You Should Walk Away With

Our guest blogger is Ashley Wells, a member of Forte's MBA Launch program for MBA applicants. She is excited to share her perspectives on the process of pursuing an MBA.

Your impressions of the school: You should take the very first opportunity you can to write down your impressions of the school. Preferably, your thoughts would be captured throughout the day while still on campus. This is what a MBA friend of mine called “time on a nice bench” to do some soul-searching during your visit. This is critical not only to remember what your thoughts and impressions were of the program, but also to reference experiences from classes, professors, and interactions in your application to provide rich depth to your essays and add specificity to your school interests.
Connections: The best thing you can do is to meet students when on an MBA visit. Meeting with people from clubs you are interested in, former colleagues, friends, and so forth will help provide you with real insight to the school’s pros and cons. While admissions staffare great resources, meeting people in the MBA cafés and classes can help provide a diverse perspective.

Make every effort to write down people’s names, contact information, and a synopsis of your conversation to follow-up with them via email and connect on LinkedIn. I can’t tell you how many MBAs have offered to help me on my journey, some of whom have set me up with their friends at other schools along my MBA-visit journey. It is critical to follow-up with those you meet along the way, as they could be great future resources.
Fun side note: A friend of mine is now long-distance dating the student admissions volunteer he met on a campus visit. You never know!

Gratitude: Be thankful to the many friends and contacts who have supported your school visit process. Take time to send them a hand-written card in follow-up to the school visit within 72 hours. MBA alums and students have a ton going on, and are taking time out to help you get informed about what can be a daunting process. A little note goes a long way to say thank you for their time and valuable advice!
Conclude your visit with information, confidence, and resources for the future!

I’d love to hear your feedback and questions in the comments section below.

Ashley Wells is a Strategy and Operations consultant at Deloitte. She is currently enrolled in Forte’s inaugural MBA Launch program for women. She is an MBA 2014 candidate hopeful and is excited to share her experiences and insights throughout the MBA application process. She has a degree in Political Science from The George Washington University.

Friday, July 26, 2013

The MBA School Visit Part Two: Questions You Should Ask

Our guest blogger is Ashley Wells, a member of Forte's MBA Launch program for MBA applicants. She is excited to share her perspectives on the process of pursuing an MBA.

As it turns out, the Internet can be fairly limited when it comes to providing questions you should ask during the MBA campus visit process. There is a very helpful Poets & Quants article that does provide some insight to this, but I wanted to bring some additional aid for my MBA seeking ladies out there.

The Third Rail of Questions:

Whatever you do, avoid asking questions which:

·         Can be easily found by searching on the Internet

·         Are extremely specific to your situation when you are in a group setting

·         Are “low hanging fruit” questions that could be applied to any MBA program when you only have the opportunity to ask one-two questions

Creative Ways to Stand Out:

·         Many MBA programs have summer reading lists that offer insight to what the school finds most compelling in recent thought leadership. If you have the opportunity, browse through the list and maybe even pick up a couple books to read from it to discuss while on campus.

·         Learn who some of their most famous or active alumni are. Admissions love to talk about their famous alums, and this gives you a great segue into questions on alumni involvement.

·         Research eminent professors at the school who offer courses that interest you, and specifically demonstrate your interest and prior research while on your visit. 

Questions for Students:

·         What clubs are you involved in?

·         How difficult is it to obtain leadership roles in clubs as a first year? As a second year?

·         Have you participated in any study abroad experiences? Is it common for students to study abroad via short emersions or quarter/semester long programs?

·         What industry were you in prior to attending X school, and where do you seek to end up in as a result of your MBA?

·         How has the financial crisis impacted the summer internship offer process at X school?

·         How competitive do you feel the MBA environment is here? How collaborative is it?

·         How flexible is your course curriculum?

·         What have been your favorite and least favorite courses? Why?

·         Tell me what an average Thursday or Friday night looks like for an MBA student here.

·         When you graduate, what is the one thing you will miss the most about this school?

·         How accessible are alumni to you? Do you outreach to them mainly through the Career Center, school events, informally, or otherwise?

·         How does grade disclosure or grade non-disclosure affect the student environment here?

·         What is the best advice you can give me about applying to this MBA program? Is there anything different you wish you would have done for your MBA application?

·         What do you love about the city the school is? What’s your least favorite aspect?

Questions for AdCom:

Always remember, your questions for the AdCom during your campus visit should SPARK their interest in you by being:

·         Specific: The question is specific to you, the school, experience, coursework, etc. When you are meeting individually with the AdCom, you can ask questions about your specific application. For example, “I don’t come from a quantitative undergraduate background. Outside of the GMAT, how can I demonstrate quantitative proficiency?”

·         Poised: You are inquiring in a poised and professional manner that does not appear demanding, specifically comparative to other schools you are looking at, or uninformed.

·         Accurate: You are asking questions about information that is fact-based, not based on rumor. For example, “I hear grade disclosure makes your students more competitive in nature with one another. Is that true?” is not a good lead-in.

·         Reasonable: Do not demand to meet with the AdCom and then have nothing to ask, this can hurt your application! If you are able to schedule time with them, have 3-5 prepared questions for as well as some solid introductory conversation regarding your thoughts on the school.

·         Keen: Your questions are energetic, you appear eager, and lively. AdComs meet with countless students daily—be the enthusiastic source that they can draw energy from to remember you by.

Show your SPARK and get the information you need to make informed decisions!

Ashley Wells is a Strategy and Operations consultant at Deloitte. She is currently enrolled in Forte’s inaugural MBA Launch program for women. She is an MBA 2014 candidate hopeful and is excited to share her experiences and insights throughout the MBA application process. She has a degree in Political Science from The George Washington University.

Wednesday, July 24, 2013

The MBA School Visit Part One: “The Checklist”

The MBA school visit can certainly be a nerve-wracking experience. On my first school visit, I felt both excited and terrified. I was effectively considering a completely new life for myself at the schools I was visiting, and that in and of itself can be overwhelming.
For me, as I imagine for many of you out there, preparation is the biggest key to reducing my nerves and helping me to feel more in control of my experience. Here are some thoughts for you to consider regarding your school visits:

How to Prepare:
·        Research the school in depth in advance (1-2 months), and refresh your stats and information about the school just before visiting to have the basics fresh in your mind. Writing down this information in a notebook you keep with you can be great for keeping all the facts straight, especially when visiting multiple schools in the same city.

·        Have an idea of your personal story and reasons for going to B school. Of course, this doesn’t have to be incredibly crisp as it does in the interview phase, but you should have the basics—what you’re doing, where you’re heading, why B school, why now—ready to share, as you will be asked this by multiple individuals.

·        Schedule class visits to the MBA courses you’d like to sit in on. Remember: most MBA programs don’t have Friday classes, so don’t expect an easy Friday away from the office. You will likely need to be there on Wednesday or Thursday to attend classes and be on campus when students are present.

·         …Which brings me to my next point. Take off work—I mean really—in advance. Try your best to stay totally plugged into the B school experience while visiting. I saw many people responding to work emails during the class visit, and taking work calls in the middle of information sessions, which made for a big distraction to them and everyone else.

·        RSVP to events and programming Admissions makes available, such as information sessions, school tours, and office hours with the AdCom. Many insider tips into the application process are dished out at these events.

·        RSVP to B-school events that are open to recruits. Due to smart planning, in one weekend, I was able to attend NYU Stern’s Opening Doors for Women event, a Columbia Business School “Spotlight On” series event, and was invited to several student-run happy hours and Halloween events. There’s no better way to learn about the school first hand than attending these events.

·        Look up the clubs at the school that interest you, and email the student leads of those clubs to meet up for coffee or a drink at their convenience to discuss the program.

·        Of course, if you have friends at the school or in the community, make time to treat them to a meal—trust me, they are temporarily poor and will appreciate it—to also hear from them firsthand about their experience.

·       Get your transportation logistics sorted out. Taking a red eye to San Fran to visit Stanford in the morning when you get off the flight….not a great idea in the slightest. Showing up to Chicago without a clue on how to ride the Metra out to the school…no good. Download HopStop and plan out your transport in advance if you are in a city, organize your car rental in advance if you are driving, and give yourself plenty of time to account for missed turns, traffic, train work, and all the terribly inconvenient hold-ups that always seem to happen when you least expect.

·       Research the city. This place could very well be your home for the next two years, so make sure you check out the city and not just the school itself to get a feel for your potential new home.
What to Wear:

·       I couldn’t find this information anywhere and had to ask friends. Here is the deal:

·       Dress business casual to professional when meeting with the AdCom or going to any formal recruiting events.

·       Dress smart casual in the more informal settings, such as going to a coffee chat or meeting with students you’ve reached out to.

·        Prepare as you would for an interview: get a manicure, don’t dress too “flashy” or wear anything too tight or low cut. Remember, you are here to get a feel for the school and make a first impression and build relationships. Look your best to feel your best.

·       Comfortable shoes. You will likely be going across campus multiple times and doing lots of walking, so now is not the time to be a martyr in 5 inch Louboutins.

What to Bring:

·        A notebook and pen to take notes.

·        Business cards to hand to people you meet to stay in contact.

·        A portfolio or handbag big enough to carry all of the “take home” materials you will inevitably receive as a part of your visit.

·        A list of questions that are tailored for each audience you will be interacting with (student questions, AdCom questions, event questions, etc.).

·        The addresses of where you’re going in your notebook or Smartphone.

·        A water bottle, snacks, mints, and so forth. Between bouncing to and from campus locations for several different events, not to mention the typically limited on-campus options, it’s a good idea to have some basics with you to keep your energy up throughout the day.

·         A focused and energetic attitude that’s eager to fully soak in the school visit experience!

Preparation, energy, and focus during the school visit help get you to Business School…and beyond!

Monday, July 15, 2013

How to Rock your next MBA Fair

MBA fairs are intimidating, plain and simple. After all, they are massive, overwhelming, and complete with seemingly endless superficial conversations where you have to “sell yourself” over and over again. They usually occur after your workday, when you are already tired and hungry as it is, and you may have a coffee stain on your shirt from the morning but you didn’t have time to change clothes. You might even be tempted to dismiss the MBA fair entirely, opting for your long sought after post-work exercise class, happy hour, or a Bravo TV marathon. My challenge is this, ladies: use the below tips and tricks to walk into your next MBA fair with swag, make solid impressions when you’re there, and walk out with results.
Do Your Homework: Your first MBA fair may be an exploratory opportunity for you to see what the MBA is all about, ask some very general questions to recruiters, and pick up basic school promotional material to consider. This is highly encouraged and is a great first start! Moving beyond your first fair, you should be well researched on two key things to get the most impact for your time:

1. Schools—You should review the list of schools attending, and narrow down that list to top preference and secondary preference schools. There is typically only 1-2 hours for mingling amongst the school booths, and much of your time at the fair may be spent waiting in line to talk to recruiters. Therefore, you should have a strategy for approaching your top 3-5 schools first that you will definitely meet with before leaving, and approaching your secondary list of schools if there is time.
  2. Specific Questions—MBA fairs are nowhere near as formal as interviews, but similar to an interview, they are opportunities for you to ask some specific questions that you should have prepared in advance. I will never forget how mortified I was when I asked a school which semester MBA candidates typically study abroad, only to be corrected by the recruiter that the school is on the quarter system. Details like these are basic! To be your most polished self, come armed with several questions you’d like to ask specifically in advance.

Bring a Friend: Showing up to an MBA fair alone can feel like showing up to a party where you don’t know anyone. Bringing a friend to your MBA fair can help quell any nerves you may have, aid you in asking important follow-up questions if you approach schools together, and provide you with someone to discuss school impressions at the end.

Steal the Show, Politely: I really dislike when people are pushy with food, social media, or invites to forced social interactions I’d rather not attend. A close top contender for the coveted “top 3 pushiness hates” is the pushiness people seem to exhibit at MBA fairs. When you are pressed for time and want to make an impression, it can be tempting to slyly cut the line that forms when talking to recruiters at the school table, or insert yourself into someone’s conversation in a not-so-subtle manner. Just remember, recruiters are people who tend to be socially intuitive, and they are appreciative of people who approach them politely and are respectful of others’ time spent waiting. When you do get your opportunity to meet the recruiter, distinguish yourself with a friendly smile, firm handshake, and your 30-second introduction spoken in a clear and audible voice (MBA fairs can be very loud). Your introduction should be thought-out in advance but should not sound rehearsed or rushed. I have found that starting out with “I am interested in X Business School because Y” goes a long way, because it shows that you are interested in their school and are not wasting either of your time. Give them time to respond, and then ask your 1-2 questions. Please remember: this is not your opportunity to take up 15 minutes with individual questions! There are many people in line, and you can and should email your follow-up questions to the recruiter afterwards in order to be respectful of everyone’s time.

Leave with Something Tangible: I don’t mean the glossy booklets the schools give out for you to take. (Personal side note: I really think the MBA programs should ban together and consider going paperless. They are a huge cost and usage of paper; most of us toss them after reviewing once; and all of the information is provided online). Aside from obtaining the answers to your questions from recruiters at your top schools, there are three things you can walk away with:
  1. Invites to Events in your Area—If you live in a major city, chances are that your top schools may have receptions, panels, and information sessions with alumni and recruiters in your area. At many MBA fairs, there will be handouts with follow-on event information, or recruiters may provide you with an invitation to a future event.
  2. Invites to Events on Campus—In addition to getting information about when the best time is to visit campus, you may receive invitations to specific events on campus. For example, while at the Forte Forum 2012 in the Washington, DC area, the Colombia Business School recruiter notified me about the “Spotlight On” series that the MBA program puts on. This series is open to recruits, and features high-profile business individuals who speak to students and the community on campus. I most likely wouldn’t have known about this opportunity without meeting the recruiter at the fair, which in turn provided me with a more targeted time to visit campus and attend a “Spotlight On” event which appeals to me. 
  3. Informational Interviews—Some fairs, such as at the QS MBA World Fair, offer you the opportunity to sign-up for informational interviews with school recruiters in a one-on-one setting during the week leading up to the MBA fair. While not all schools at the fair will participate in this aspect, this can still be a great opportunity to practice for your school interviews and ask broad questions that any MBA program can speak to.

Go out and rock your next fair!

Monday, July 8, 2013

You + the GMAT: How to Not Lose Your Sanity While Studying for the Test

Every person’s “GMAT story” is unique.

Taking a Class: I’ve read in storybooks that some people scored a 700 right off the bat on their diagnostic test without ever cracking a book. I’ve heard of others who simply read GMAT books and prepared on their own and got the score they desired. For the vast majority of us humans, a GMAT preparation class is necessary for one simple reason: it helps you to structure your studying and stick to a designated plan, complete with a weekly check-in with a brilliant instructor to guide you and answer your study questions. Not to mention, if you are in line with all the other competitive MBA candidate hopefuls, you will be inspired to stay current on the homework assignments in order to be relatively stable when called upon in class or showing your answers on practice questions. Overall, the MBA class is a safe space to make mistakes, practice mental math and re-learn 7th grade math concepts (remember those isosceles triangles?), improve your grammar, and accomplish the core task at hand: surviving the GMAT.
Timing: Taking the GMAT is kind of like having a child, there is no “perfect time” to do it. There will always be a major project or proposal at work, vacations you want to take, and unpredictable life events that steal our attention. No matter what, if you are studying correctly for the GMAT, you will be setting aside a significant amount of your time on a weekly basis to give all you have to the GMAT. For me personally, I chose Saturday classes because my regular work week was too unpredictable for me to commit to an evening class. My Saturday class became my ritual every week, and as best as possible, I adhered to the syllabus in order to tackle GMAT studying in chunks, rather than cramming or dragging it out for longer than necessary. I devoted 15-20 hours per week to study quant most mornings before work, and study verbal several evenings during the week. I took the weekend to take practice tests or do long problem sets, as well as sit in on my weekly class. If I had time during my lunch break, I would even listen in to online study session webinars that my test preparation company provided. All in all, breaking up my studying into multiple times throughout the day helped me concentrate in smaller doses rather than studying 4 or 6 hours straight and losing focus.

Controlling Your Emotions: The GMAT nearly “got to me” on several occasions. Whether from exhaustion or frustration or sheer sadness at the riddance of my normal social life, there were many times that I found myself in tears after a bad practice test or studying a certain topic multiple times only to find myself stillmissing questions on problem sets. As an A-student all of my life who was used to studying hard before tests and performing well, the GMAT really threw me a curve ball with its adaptive test methodology. There were several practice tests, for example, where I was in the 75-80% percentile range on quant through question 30, and then would miss 5 of the last 7 questions to end up in the 30% range. On my first official GMAT test, I scored 110 points lower than my last practice test—110 points. I quite literally almost blacked out in the testing center when I saw my score. However, despite these experiences, I had to force myself to get back on the horse, continue studying, and achieve my goal which I knew was within reach.

Your Support Network: The people you surround yourself with during GMAT studying are extremely important to your overall sanity and long-term test success. There are three types of support you need:
  1. People who care about your GMAT success—These are your friends who understand your goals and level of commitment. They may be taking the test at the same time or have taken it before. Your parents most likely fall into this category. They want you to succeed, understand your frustrations, encourage you, and tell you to keep going when you want to quit.
  2. People who could care less about your GMAT success—These people are the ones who encourage you to go away for a beach trip in the middle of your study sprint and want you to go out on Saturday nights instead of staying in and studying. It is wise to politely decline their text message, email, and phone invitations about 80% of the time. The other 20% of the time, you should go out with them for your own personal wellbeing. Being around people whose face would not change if you told them you got a 300 or an 800 score can be liberating.
  3. People who you do not know but commiserate with you and the GMAT—These individuals are strangers who you can find on the world wide web. I referenced many study support sites, mainly the blog on GMATClub.com, to hear honest GMAT stories and struggles from people all over the world taking the test. There are inspiring stories with titles such as “From 450 to 780,” and ones less positive but that are real and let you know you are not alone in your frustrations.
Take Time to Celebrate: Your GMAT studying process is designed for you to reach your goal score. While you are on your way to that ultimate success, you should reward yourself by celebrating the small stuff. If you finally nail your timing on quant in a problem set, take an evening off to get together with friends. When you first score in your goal range on a practice test, treat yourself to a pedicure or great meal out. And finally, have something really freaking fantastic lined up for you at the finish line. My first test, which as mentioned did not go so well, at least resulted in a big group dinner right afterwards so that I was with my support network. The day after my second test, which was a personal success, I took off on a vacation to Israel, Jordan, Greece, and Turkey. These were things I could look forward to throughout my GMAT journey. Celebrating your short-term and long-term achievements along your study route will definitely help keep your mind in check.

Good luck studying!

Monday, July 1, 2013

Considering an MBA? The 5 People You Need to Talk To

Our guest blogger is Ashley Wells, a member of Forte's MBA Launch program for MBA applicants. She is excited to share her perspectives on the process of pursuing an MBA.
Whether you were inspired to pursue an MBA from your college accounting class, Lipstick Jungle (but seriously, why was that show cancelled?), or your most recent career inspirations, many of you out there are in the preliminary stages of considering one basic question: Should I go through a grueling application process, 2 more years of school, and $100,000+ in debt for the MBA?
Every individual’s answer will inevitably differ, and diverse career paths will offer contrasting recommendations or requirements to pursue the degree. However, there are five people that each of us should speak to while deciding if the MBA is right for us:

Leaders in your current field: For those of us looking to stay in our current industry (hand raise anyone?), you are likely in one of two positions:
  1. It is required for you to pursue the MBA in order to move up—It may seem like a no-brainer. Everyone at a certain level takes off for the MBA and you are expected to file suit. Before you start penning your applications, take a breath and think about who you look up to in the firm or organization. Regain the enthusiasm of your first year in the workforce and your energy for networking, and take time to meet with these individuals to ask them about: their MBA path, how expectations of you will be different post-MBA, and what skills you should be looking to gain through the MBA experience. This guidance can be helpful to you during the application process and will help you keep perspective throughout your MBA experience.
  2. It is not necessarily a requirement to move up—This is a slightly tougher position to be in, as the path is less defined. In most cases, there will be executives and partners in your field who don’t have MBAs, and who pursued interesting life paths to get where they are today without the degree. There also may be an “unspoken” skew towards the MBA degree, where these “interesting” leaders are actually the exceptions to the rule and in fact most leaders in your field do have the degree and have found it useful. Talk to both those who do and don’t have the MBA under their belt to offer you contrasting perspectives on the necessity or advantage of the degree.
Leaders in the field you want to move into: Approximately half of those pursuing an MBA are looking to switch careers post-graduation. If you are in the same “career switching boat” as many of your future classmates, it is essential that you speak with people in your dream job field to understand: how the MBA can be beneficial to that career track, if most leaders at the top of the industry have MBAs, whether or not it is the “norm” for people in the field to have MBAs or other degrees, and if the MBA is a prerequisite to getting hired. You should also ask what other qualifications (different degrees, PMP certification, etc.) you can pursue in lieu of the MBA that are recommended alternatives to a business degree.

People who pursued other degrees you may be considering: As complex, multi-faceted citizens of the world, many of us have more than one interest when it comes to pursuing a graduate degree. When weighing your options, there is only so much reading you can do to help you decide what your best graduate degree fit is. Your best bet is to actually track down people you know (either personally or through alumni networks) to talk to them about their degrees and use them as a sounding board for the options you are considering. As a Political Science undergraduate, I was very interested in an MPP or MPA degree because of the excitement I took in the coursework, but I also felt strongly that the MBA would be the more “practical” option to enhance my skillset and build my business network. To help me sort out my thoughts, I spoke with several trusted mentors and recommended leaders in my firm with MPP, MPA, and MBA degrees. These individuals offered me critical (and free!) advice that ultimately helped steer me towards the MBA choice.

Women with MBAs: I have spoken with many smart females who possess MBAs on the topic of business school. Many women have the perspective that in an increasingly competitive workforce and in a job atmosphere where a male-female income disparity still exists, the MBA is critical because it offers credibility. These female business leaders have found their MBA to offer them authority in the board room, while speaking to public audiences, and with clients. This is a subject up for debate, but I’d encourage you to speak with some female MBAs you know on this topic to offer you first-hand perspective on how this may apply to you.

Yourself: Yes, it sounds cheesy. I hate that this section has to be in here, but as many of us people-pleasing, career-ladder-climbing, type-A, high-achieving women can be distracted from the most important thing—what WE think—this section merits a few lines. Amidst all of the conversations you are having, with the people above, and your friends, family, and significant other, the most critical conversation you must have is the one with yourself. Is this the right move for you? Are you willing to assume risk and debt in light of a higher payoff in the end? Will the MBA help you pursue the career path you really want to be in? Are you ready for a location change and career move? These are questions you and you alone can answer.

Happy MBA Deciding, and may the odds be ever in your favor!