Search

Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Deloitte Consulting Immersion Program

The following program is offered by Forté Sponsor Deloitte:

Learn more about Deloitte's innovative summer program designed for you!

It's your career. Are you ready to accelerate it? Prepared to work with mentors and coaches who know how to stay ahead of the latest trends in business? Looking to build high performance leadership skills? And capable of bringing new ideas and a unique perspective to every assignment? Then the Deloitte Consulting Immersion Program (DCIP) may be right for you. This could be your big break. How far will you take it?

Learn more about our exciting DCIP Summit designed for newly admitted MBA students by visiting our DCIP site. The application is now open for the Class of 2015. In addition, we invite you to join a virtual information session to answer all of your questions about the DCIP.

The details
Virtual Information Session
Friday, March 29, 2013, 3:00PM ET
RSVP
R.S.V.P. and complete a brief survey. We will respond with the call details including the dial-in number and participant code.

We hope you’re ready to explore the DCIP.

Monday, March 25, 2013

Admissions Interviews

You’ve worked tirelessly to research which schools and programs are a good fit, taken the GMAT, completed applications and written countless essays.   You finally get the news you’ve been waiting for…you got an interview!  Now what?

It’s important to remember that the interview is your time to shine and impress the admissions committee once again.  Follow my tips below in order to ace your admissions interviews!

·         Be confident – the admissions team already thinks you’re great and now is your chance to prove it to them in person

·         Talk to current students – reach out to current students or alumni to ask questions about their experience on campus and during their interview

·         Know your story – be able to answer the following questions:

o   Why an MBA?

o   Why is now the right time in your career to pursue an MBA?

o   Why our school?

·         Research the school and program and come up with a few questions to ask the admissions committee at the end of your interview

The most important tip is to be you!  Each MBA class is comprised of students with exceptional talents and unique backgrounds which enable learning and growth inside and outside of the classroom.  No one else in your class will have the same experiences that you’ve had so stay confident and ace those interviews!

Liz Schaab, Forté Fellow
MBA 2014, SMU Cox School of Business

Monday, March 18, 2013

What is a Forté Fellow?

Forté Foundation’s mission is to substantially increase the number of women business leaders by increasing the flow of women into key educational gateways and business networks. One of the ways we achieve this is by supporting women financially in their business education. As such, we offer fellowships to women who are pursuing a full-time, part-time, or executive MBA education at participating business schools. Forté Foundation Fellowships are intended to increase the number of women applying to and enrolling in MBA programs.

Each school chooses its own Fellows and has its own criteria for selecting Fellows - no application information is required by the Foundation. Students interested in becoming a Forté Fellow should contact the admissions or financial aid office at the
sponsor school of their choice and express interest in being considered for the Forté Fellowship.

Ask each school about their specific selection guidelines. Forté advises schools to choose candidates that exhibit exemplary leadership in one or more ways: academic leadership, team leadership, community leadership, and creative leadership. Schools are encouraged to nominate women who represent diverse educational and work backgrounds, career goals, ethnicities, and citizenship.

Exceptional women candidates of all national origins who have been admitted to participating schools are eligible for consideration. In addition to the above, schools are encouraged to consider candidates who have already demonstrated a commitment to women and girls via personal mentorship or community involvement. Such commitment is in alignment with the mission of Forté Foundation.

Among other benefits, Fellows receive financial support provided through Forté member schools, and they also gain exposure to leading companies in the Forté network. Fellows also gain an immediate network of peers in your fellow fellows that extends beyond your business school. Look into the Fellows program at the schools you’re interested in – we would love to welcome you into this exclusive group of women!

Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Targeting a Spring Application Deadline – Tips for Success

From the Simon Admissions Blog.
by Rebekah Lewin, Executive Director of Admissions & Administration 
We get many questions from spring applicants wondering if it’s “too late” to apply or worrying about coming in after several rounds of applications are under review.  Many express concern that some of our spots are already reserved and wonder how competitive it will be for remaining spots.  Don’t worry – if you are a top candidate, you will be competitive, regardless of which application cycle you target.  Try not to over-think the situation as most top schools operate a waiting list to save some spaces for top candidates across each application round.  The Simon School also offers scholarship consideration across all of our application rounds, which is a huge benefit.  A few tips to keep in mind to help you put your best foot forward in the application process:
• Regardless of your reason(s) for applying in the spring, you should be confident and put your best foot forward in all of your application requirements – show how you expect to be an asset to your target school as a student and future alum.
• Be thorough in researching your target B-school and express clearly why you are a “good fit” for the program.  Typically the essay and interview components are good opportunities to express this to the Admissions committee.
• The Simon Admissions Committee will not ask you to address “why” you are applying during the spring.  It’s your decision on if/when to provide this information to us. • There will be little time to retake test scores or update items in your application after submission, so make sure you are really satisfied with your application items before submitting them for review.
• The interview timeline will likely be compressed given the time of year so be prepared to quickly respond if/when an offer is extended.
• Similarly, if admitted, the timeline for your response to our offer will likely be 3 weeks or possibly even less, depending on how late in the year you are admitted.  Make sure you ask critical questions up front, so that you are prepared to commit and enroll if you are admitted!
Each year, we admit some great students in the spring and we look forward to seeing you apply this year! Final application deadlines are as follows and rolling admission occurs in between the deadlines
March 15, 2013 – Final deadline for International candidates and 1-year MBA candidates
May 15, 2013 – Final deadline for Domestic 2-year MBA and MS candidates
To finalize your Simon School application: www.simon.rochester.edu/applynow

Monday, March 11, 2013

Texas Evening And Executive MBA Women Host Forum

From the Texas MBA Student Blog, Texas Talk.

By Amber LyonsTexas Evening MBA Class of 2013
Saturday, January 26th marked the second annual Texas Evening (TEMBA) and Executive (EMBA) MBA Women’s Forum in Austin, Texas. The event was an all-day affair that drew some of the most talented business women in Austin together. The forum gave prospective students the opportunity to network with other prospects, current students and alumni. The day’s events included: a welcome by the program directors, a keynote from Laura Starks, a presentation by Professor John Daly, an MBA+ Leadership Program overview, an alumni and student panel, and a career management overview. We concluded the day with a networking reception that allowed everyone a relaxing atmosphere to interact. This year I had the pleasure of co-chairing the Women’s Forum with Jocelyn Sexton from the EMBA program.

To learn more visit: Evening And Executive MBA Women Forum

Monday, March 4, 2013

How to make the most of your time in Business School

Everyone warned me. I thought I was prepared. I thought I was ready. Turns out, I had no idea what I was in for. Hundreds of emails every day. Student groups inviting me to multiple events all on the same night. Co-chairs telling me I needed to join their groups. I felt so overwhelmed. What groups should I join? What do I want to get involved in? I only have two years to make the most out of my MBA experience!

Now, as I look to my graduation in June, I wanted to take a moment to reflect on the opportunities I have taken advantage of. Learning how to prioritize time and involvement is key in making sure you do not leave school with any regrets. My three pieces of advice are as follows:

1. Stay focused but open-minded. You all wrote in your essays about why you wanted to get your MBA. Remember that. Focus on what roles, industries and companies interest you. Don’t get caught up in what your classmates are doing. Stay your course. But at the same time, be open to hearing about what else is out there. This is a unique time when employers literally come TO YOU to hire you.

2. Get involved. It’s like joining a sports team in high school or pledging a sorority in college. Business school is a GREAT way to put your leadership, organizational and teamwork skills to use. Join clubs that interest you and take on leadership roles that you are truly passionate about. I have prioritized my time by getting involved with admissions as well as planning our school ski trips and Thursday night social events, and couldn’t be happier with what I have accomplished in my time at Booth.

3. Have fun. This is a magical two years, and you need to take a step back at times and make sure you are enjoying it. While recruiting and studying for exams can get stressful at times, always be sure that you are taking time to do things you enjoy. Is working out important to you? Make time for it. Do you like trying new restaurants? Get a group of friends together to check one out. Do you like to travel? Plan spring break or long weekend trips with your classmates. Do you enjoy spending time with your family and friends? Make sure you stay in touch and see them as often as you can.

Best of luck to all of you and feel free to comment with any questions you may have!
Jaime Streem, Forté Fellow
MBA 2013, University of Chicago Booth School of Business