Search

Monday, August 26, 2013

Accepted.com Interview with Georgetown MBA & Forté Fellow Teri Delgado

Forté Fellow Teri Delgado recently shared her first year experiences at the Georgetown MBA with Accepted.com. Take a moment to read her interview.

Here’s an excerpt on her experiences with Forté:

Accepted: Can you talk about your experience with the Forté Foundation? What are some of the benefits of being involved with this organization?

Teri: As a Forté Fellow, I have access to many great benefits, including networking events, webinars, and the annual Forté Conference. Even before school started, I was welcomed by my second-year Forté mentor from Georgetown who helped me navigate the first weeks of school. Through my Forte participation, I contribute to the Forté Fellow blog and have been empowered to lead the first-year women’s mentoring program as the VP, Mentorship for the Georgetown Women in Business club. Forté sponsored events helped me evaluate pursuing an MBA early on and I am thrilled that I can share my experience and help other women strategically consider this decision as well.

For the complete blog post visit: Georgetown MBA Interview with Teri Delgado at Accepted.com

Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Take Advantage of Forté Forums

Joanne Legler, Associate Director of Admissions at the University of Chicago Booth School of Business recently shared some additional advice about getting the most out of Forté Forums on the Booth Insider Full-Time Admissions Blog.

Joanne Legler
University of Chicago
Booth School of Business
“Besides getting great advice and meeting with admissions staff, Forté Forums are also a great way to network with other pre-MBA women; these strangers are friends you haven’t yet met, and potential future classmates or business partners.  The Forum provides an excellent opportunity to network with other motivated and talented women who are looking for what you are; a degree that will push, challenge and inspire you all to reach your career and personal goals.  You’ll notice that you’ll start to run into one another and recognize these new contacts at individual school events, both during the application process and later when you’ve been admitted and start attending Admit Weekends—and beyond that, when you’re registering for your first classes!

Forté Forums are some of my favorite events of the entire year; I am always inspired by the soon-to-be MBA women I meet, who are themselves excited, maybe a little nervous, but above all more than ready to take this next big step to gain the knowledge and experience needed to make a change.  I particularly love meeting a woman at the Forums, and then reading her application and possibly admitting her to join our class at Chicago Booth.  Seeing this relationship through to the end, from attending Admit Weekend to then seeing her at Orientation—these are the moments an admissions director live for!  The opportunity to make an impact at the crucial stage of deciding to apply to school is a major motivator for me.

The most important advice I can give you for the Forté Forums is to GO; you will find that other priorities, including work and friends, will try to prevent you from making the trek to your nearest Forum.  Put this in proverbial pen in your appointment book—you’ll thank me later!   Once you arrive, don’t be shy!  Come over, introduce yourself, leave your business card and strike up a conversation with Booth alumnae and staff.  Do the same with the woman you sit next to at the Alumnae and Admissions panels and start your MBA network now.  I’ll see you myself at the two Forums in New York City so if you’re a Big Apple dweller, I hope you’ll stop by the Chicago Booth table to say hello.

To read the complete article visit Women, Booth, and the Forté Foundation.

Learn more about Upcoming Forté Forums.

Monday, August 19, 2013

Preparing for the Forté Forums - Part 2

The 2013 Forté Forums get underway tonight in Chicago. Last week, I shared tips from our webinar panelists on preparing for the forums. Don’t forget to spend a few minutes listening to our webinar, Preparing for the Forté Forums. The panel featured Joanne Legler, Associate Director of Admissions at The University of Chicago’s Booth School of Business and five women who are beginning their MBA programs in the next month. They shared their insights and tips on navigating an MBA recruiting event.

Here are some additional tips shared during the webinar:

1.       Talk with other attendees. Some of them may be your future classmates. If not, you’ll be expanding your network. -- Tricia Felice, MBA 2014, University of Chicago Booth School of Business, Forté Fellow

2.      Have a clear understanding of what you hope to gain from the forum or fair. -- Stephanie Cadieux, MBA 2014, The Kellogg School of Management at Northwestern

3.      After the fair, make a list of what you learned from each school and rank them according to your preferences. -- Joanne Legler, Associate Director of Admissions,  University of Chicago Booth School of Business

Arrion Rathsack, Manager of Sponsor Relations and Programs, Forté Foundation

** Please not this webinar was originally recorded in August 2012, references to the upcoming forum and webinar schedule is incorrect. Visit the following sites for the latest on these programs:

Forté Webinars 2013-2014

Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Preparing for the Forté Forums

The 2013 Forté Forums begin next week. Within a supportive and collaborative environment, the Forté Forums are great way to begin exploring the MBA program opportunities available to you at Top-Tier programs.

You might be thinking, “What exactly happens at a Forté Forum and how should I prepare?” Take a listen to a webinar panel moderated by Joanne Legler, Associate Director of Admissions at The University of Chicago’s Booth School of Business and five women who began their MBA program last fall. They shared their insights and tips on navigating an MBA recruiting event, whether it be a Forté Forum, The MBA Tour, QS Top MBA Tour, or Kaplan’s Road to Business School (and I should add there are many other regional and national fairs as well.)

Here are some tips shared during the webinar:

1.       Ask questions about information you aren't able to easily find on the website, i.e. school’s culture. -- Shaw-chin Chiu, MBA 2014, The Fuqua School of Business at Duke, Forté Fellow

2.      Dress appropriately. It keeps you confident, no such thing as being over dressed. -- Adeola Taiwo, MBA 2014, McCombs School of Business at Texas, Forté Fellow

3.      Don’t forget to smile and just be yourself. The schools want good candidates as much as you want a good school--so it is mutual. -- Sweeny Chhabra, MBA 2013, INSEAD, Forté Fellow

Later this week, I’ll share some additional insights from our other panelists on questions to ask, what to wear and bring to the forums, and some final tips.

In the meantime, take some time to listen to the complete webinar online:

Arrion Rathsack, Manager of Sponsor Relations and Programs, Forté Foundation

** Please not this webinar was originally recorded in August 2012, references to the upcoming forum and webinar schedule is incorrect. Visit the following sites for the latest on these programs:

Monday, August 12, 2013

Come the the Forté Forums!

by Shari Hubert, Associate Dean of MBA Admissions, Georgetown University McDonough School of Business

Shari Hubert
Georgetown University
McDonough School
of Business
As the Associate Dean of MBA Admissions at Georgetown University's McDonough School of Business, I am proud that we are a Forte Sponsor School and welcome the newest Class of 2015 Forte Fellows. They are strong women embarking on their MBA and pursuing careers in business, non profit, and government. They are fortunate to have an organization as committed to the advancement of women in business as the Forte Foundation. From undergraduates and pre-MBAs, to MBAs and women in diverse professional arenas, Forte has and continues to be a thought leader in the space and provides women the tools, professional development and strong networks to be successful in their careers.  

At Georgetown, we have increased our number of Forte Fellows to 20 this year to demonstrate our level of commitment to attracting and recruiting more women into MBA programs. We look forward to partnering with Forte during the Forte Forums taking place across the US and in London and Toronto.  I encourage you to register to attend one of these events as well.  The Forums provide an opportunity for women thinking about business school to speak one-on-one with representatives from all of the Forté member schools. There will also be a panel of admissions officers providing helpful tips on creating the best application possible, and a panel of business school alumnae to talk about the value of an MBA education and their business school and career experiences.

Forté’s website also contains lots of useful information about business school, careers in business, and shares the stories of women who have gone before you. It is a great networking, mentoring and educational tool.  For additional information on how Forte can help you achieve your goals, visit www.fortefoundation.org