Search

Thursday, March 3, 2011

Two MBA Programs for the Price of One – Now That’s Good Business!

It’s already the spring semester here at Queen’s School of Business, but you wouldn’t know it given the chilly Canadian weather we’ve been experiencing. Since winter break we have been busying ourselves with elective courses, case competitions and international exchange plans. It’s hard to believe that just about a year ago I received my acceptance to the Queen’s MBA program, as well as my acceptance to schools in Paris. When I told my friends and family that I would first be heading to Kingston, Ontario and then Paris to complete my MBA, there were some confused faces; however, I had a plan.

In less than three weeks time, I will be experiencing such things as the Eiffel Tower, accordions on the street corner and great tasting cheap wine – and these will all be experienced by way of my MBA. How, you may ask, will I be able to be in France, while completing my degree in Canada? The answer is simple; I’ll finish my degree at ESSEC through the exchange program at Queen’s.

One of the great opportunities that many MBA programs provide is an exchange program. Taking advantage of your school’s exchange agreement offers you benefits such as a wider international network, a different view on global issues and of course, another fantastic school to add to your resume.

Further benefits of exchange can be reached if two schools accept you that you cannot decide between, you are not accepted into your dream school or you cannot afford your dream school. By looking at your preferred school’s partner institution list, you may be able to gain acceptance by virtue of an exchange agreement, held by another institution.

In terms of funding, the beauty of the exchange is that you pay your home institution’s tuition fees, and are then only responsible for your living expenses. Essentially, you receive the experience of two MBA programs for the price of one.

I’m already feeling a bit nostalgic about my Queen’s experience, but I’m also excited to meet my new colleagues at ESSEC. At ESSEC I’ll be focusing my studies on social entrepreneurship and in anticipation, I have started reading “Let My People Go Surfing: The Education of a Reluctant Businessman” by Yvon Chouinard (founder of Patagonia). It’s a great read for those of you who are interested in socially responsible business. Hope you find the time to pick it up! A bientôt!

Kate Murphy
Queen’s MBA 2011 Candidate

No comments:

Post a Comment