Search

Thursday, December 2, 2010

MBA Admissions Events for Women

UNC Kenan-Flagler recently hosted an enthusiastic group of prospective MBA women for our annual Women’s Weekend event. The weekend reminded me of how beneficial the women’s events at various Forté Foundation member schools were for me as an applicant. As many of my fellow bloggers have noted, campus visits can help give you a true sense of the culture of the MBA program. Read on for some of the many reasons why on-campus admissions events specifically for women can be a great investment of your time.

You can get a better sense of whether the program is a good fit for you. Admissions events for women are typically more intimate (and less intimidating) than large-scale MBA fairs and provide many chances to talk with representatives from the school one-on-one or in small groups. Take advantage of the friendly setting and get all of your questions answered. Do the students seem happy? What would it be like to live in that city? How are core courses structured?

There are numerous opportunities to network with current students. Current MBA women can give their personal perspective on questions you may otherwise be hesitant to ask. For example, what is it like being the only female in a study group? What activities are there for my partner/family? If you have a great conversation with a current student, ask for her contact information so you can follow up later with any additional questions.

You can get tips on the admissions process. Oftentimes these events provide valuable information on how to position yourself as a top female applicant. If you haven’t submitted your application, you can use information you learn from the women’s event in essays to demonstrate your interest in the school. Sign up for on-campus interviews (if offered) and class visits while attending the event to maximize your time.

You will meet other prospective female MBAs. The other prospective students I met were a fantastic resource. The application process can be stressful and it was reassuring to share stories with others in the same boat. I kept in touch with the prospective students I met at these events and they provided advice and support throughout the admissions process. Some of them are now classmates at Kenan-Flagler and others are Forté Fellows at other schools, so it’s a great way to start building your network (and friendships) early!

Check out Forté’s calendar for when these admissions events will be taking place and let me know what you think. How have your campus visits been? Do you have any advice for other applicants?

Katie Harris, Forté Fellow
Class of 2012, UNC’s Kenan-Flagler Business School

No comments:

Post a Comment