Search

Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Is an MBA Right for You?

Are you thinking about an MBA? Approaching a career transition and not sure whether the MBA is the right next step? This blog will focus on the MBA journey—from that first conversation that sparks your interest in a career in business to the realization that an MBA might be the next step in order to advance in your dream career. I’ll call on our experts to advise you on the MBA maze and answer those pressing questions that keep you up at night. If an MBA is right for you, I want this blog to confirm that. But if another path makes more sense, then I hope that will be revealed as well.

Start with a little introspection. What do you want to be when you grow up? Read the Wall Street Journal—which section draws your attention when you only have time for one? Pick up Fast Company and see what people are doing in business that’s new or different. Talk to friends, colleagues, and family—some who have an MBA and some who don’t. Ask them about their experience. What do they think about getting an MBA?

Be honest with yourself about the job you want and the work environment where you’ll be happy. Maybe achieving a better work-life balance is a priority. Or are you searching for a career that intersects with your passions and interests. You want to travel, but you don’t want to work 80 hours a week. The list could go on, but taking time now to answer these questions will provide a strong foundation for making decisions in the coming months.

Then, join Forté at our MBA Value Proposition Forums this September and hear the personal stories of MBA women alumnae who are successfully pursuing business careers. The top B-schools will also be on hand enlighten you about the MBA application process. One past attendee said the Forums are unique because of the “support” and “encouragement” she experienced and the “abundance of valuable information provided.” Take advantage of this great opportunity to learn more about the MBA.

Do you have questions about the MBA? Concerns? Any roadblocks to pursuing an MBA? Let us help. Share your story here.

1 comment:

1. This seems like a forum that I have been seeking! I have almost 15 yrs of experience in weireless technology area. As the days go by, the work seems like more and more of inegrattion rather than any development. Needless to say that makes the job less challenging.
    It also seems that I am notenjoying getting stuck at one place. I changed technical areas, but it just seems that I can not be the expert in the new area and that forces me not to claim an expert in that area.
    That is when I started thinking about a changing the domain to business.
    And now, of course, I am stuck with questions like:
    --Do I have to reset the experience to zero?
    --Should I change the area altogether - like finance or something?
    -- If do change, do I have to start as a junior all over again?Would my experience be a negative point?
    --How about compensation - Will I have to take a pay cut?
    --How do I know if I would like that kind of a job? I have never seen a day in life of those people

I was wondering if anyone who experienced a similar dilema would throw some light here..

thanks

ReplyDelete