Search

Monday, August 31, 2009

Forté schools are blogging...check them out!

Reviewing Forté schools’ blogs is a great way to learn more about their programs and admissions policies. Below is an example of a blog post from Soojin Kwon Koh, the Director of Admissions at the Ross School of Business at Michigan. You can access the Ross Admissions Blog at http://rossblogs.typepad.com/admissions/.

We encourage you to log on to the blogs at all the Forté schools that interest you. Happy blogging!

Why Get an MBA? Part 1.

Many of you may be thinking about getting an MBA but questioning whether this is the right time to do it given the state of the economy. You may be wondering whether you will be able to get a job after graduation. Others may be wondering whether an MBA is the right degree for you; the career path seems less clear than that of an M.D. or J.D. – “What will I do after an MBA?”

I want to provide some food for thought as you grapple with these questions in the coming months or years. No one can accurately predict what the economy will look like in two years. If such predictions could be made, the global economy wouldn’t be where it is today. So in a world where the future is uncertain, you have a choice – you can make a commitment to develop your skills and position yourself to pursue a variety of options, or, you can stay on the path you’re on now and hope that that path will still be valued in two years, continues to provide fulfillment (assuming that it does now), and provides enough development opportunities to enable you to take another path, should that be necessary.

The value of an MBA, particularly one from a top general management school, is that it will equip you with skills that are applicable and valuable to all sectors and industries. It’s not just the private sector that needs people who know how to manage and lead teams, analyze and solve problems, develop growth or survival strategies, and manage resources. From start-ups to nonprofits to the government – all of those sectors need people with these kinds of skills. The same holds true from an industry standpoint as well. From healthcare to education to international development – all industries have a need for people who can think through challenges, identify opportunities, and lead an organization. That’s what an MBA can teach you to do.

I’ll admit it. When I was in college, I was one of those people who thought an MBA was just about working on Wall Street. My interests leaned more towards public policy and corporate social responsibility. So I pursued a Master in Public Policy at the Kennedy School of Government. After nearly five exciting years working on Federal budget and policy issues in both in the Executive branch and on Capitol Hill, I was ready for a career change and to learn how other industries worked. That’s when I began exploring an MBA and learned how career-broadening and opportunity-rich an MBA could be. (Of course, if I had known then what I know now, I likely would’ve pursued a dual degree [MPP/MBA] and saved myself an extra year.) My post-MBA career has included management consulting in the consumer business industry to the Director of Admissions at Ross.

The thing I want you to take away from this is that an MBA can make it possible for you to pursue a variety of career paths. And whether the economy is up or down, that kind of flexibility and transferability will always be valuable.

Soojin Kwon Koh, Director of Admissions, Ross School of Business at Michigan

Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Forte Forums: The MBA Value Proposition

The Forté Forums are open for registration—don’t miss this opportunity to learn more about the MBA Value Proposition in a city near you. I’m sure the Forum invitation has made it to your inbox. Have you clicked through to register? What’s stopping you?

Perhaps I can help. If you are thinking about an MBA, the Forums are a critical next step. You’ll have the opportunity to ask candid questions of women who have lived and breathed the MBA experience and are now pursuing their dream careers. You’ll meet admissions representatives from top B-schools who can enlighten you about the MBA application process and provide insight into their specific program subtleties, all within a smaller, more intimate atmosphere than other B-school events. And finally, there will be hundreds of women just like you in attendance—women searching for that next career move, trying to determine if the MBA is the right fit. What a great opportunity to start building your MBA network for the future!

The best thing about the Forté Forums is that they are 100% focused on helping women explore the MBA. The questions are different for women and so are the answers. That’s what why Forté created the Forums.

Are you convinced yet? Please join Forté at our
MBA Value Proposition Forums this September to learn more about the MBA and hear the personal stories of MBA women who have gone before you. One past attendee said the Forums are unique because of the “support” and “encouragement” she experienced and the “abundance of valuable information provided.” Take advantage of this great opportunity—you won’t regret it.

Thursday, August 20, 2009

2009 Forte Forum Registration Now Open!

Forte Forum: The MBA Value Proposition
September 14 - October 1, 2009

7 Cities across the U.S.

Thinking about an MBA? The Forte Foundation invites women to attend a Forte Forum event to learn, network, and discover what an MBA can do for career success. Forums are held in cities thoughout the United States. Meet with admissions representatives from over 35 top business schools from across the country, and talk to GMAT test-preparation companies. Learn from the experiences of MBA alumnae and current employees at prestigious companies. Admission is $10.
For a schedule of dates and locations, and to register, visit:
www.fortefoundation.org/forum